This event is the fifth in an ongoing series of student-only virtual seminars that pairs researchers from the Center on Global Energy Policy at Columbia SIPA (CGEP) and faculty members from across Columbia University to discuss the future of the energy transition from a multi-disciplinary perspective.
In this seminar, two economists will discuss methods for valuing the future and policy options for putting a price on carbon. The conversation will feature:
- Dr. Noah Kaufman, CGEP Research Scholar and former Deputy Associate Director of Energy & Climate Change, White House Council on Environmental Quality under President Obama
- Dr. Geoffrey Heal, Donald C. Waite III Professor of Social Enterprise and Paul Garrett Professor of Public Policy and Corporate Responsibility, Columbia Business School
Each is a classically trained economist who has taken a different path and approach in supporting the energy transition. Julio M. Barros (SIPA’21) will moderate the conversation. The seminar will be highly interactive, with the majority of the time reserved for discussion amongst the participants.
Future Seminars in this Series:
What Can a Biden Administration Do on Clean Energy?
February 25, 2021
12:15-1:15 p.m. EST
- David Hill, Adjunct Senior Research Scholar, Center on Global Energy Policy at Columbia SIPA; former Executive Vice President & General Counsel, NRG Energy, Inc.; and former General Counsel, U.S. Department of Energy
- Michael Gerrard, Andrew Sabin Professor of Professional Practice; Founder and Faculty Director of the Sabin Center for Climate Change Law; and former Chair of Faculty of Earth Institute
Student Moderator: Fiona Wissell (SIPA’21)
The Role of Carbon Capture Technologies in the Energy Transition
March 11, 2021
8:00-9:00 p.m. EST
- Dr. Julio Friedmann, Senior Research Scholar, Center on Global Energy Policy at Columbia SIPA and former Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for the Office of Fossil Energy, U.S. Department of Energy
- Dr. Alissa Park, Lenfest Earth Institute Professor of Climate Change; Chair, Department of Earth and Environmental Engineering; and Director, Lenfest Center for Sustainable Energy
Student Moderator: Sarah Braverman (SIPA’21)
Additional sessions to be announced!
Registration is required. This series is open only to currently-enrolled Columbia University students.
This event will be hosted via Zoom and capacity is limited. We ask that you register only if you can attend this event in its entirety.
For more information, contact Kaime Desire (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Maria Castillo (email@example.com).